0
Packing Day
Posted by Charlotte
on
11:21 PM
I had had all these plans about trying to squeeze in a last day trip then it was going to Harewood House, then just a desperate desire to go to Roundhay Park once more but it wasn’t to be. First things first I headed into town to return library books and close my bank account.
I got all my clothes sorted into the brilliant Rick Steves’ packing cubes and started loading bags. As I did I realized that I had seriously underestimated how much stuff I had and was going to need another bag/suitcase. So I measured the bag that I had and headed back into town, trip number two. I gave myself two hours to get things sorted. I went to charity shops, Primark, TK Maxx and the Leeds City Markets, but finally settled upon Argos. I knew that they would have stuff and it would be cheap but not totally crappy. I picked out the two most likely and had the bring them out so I could see them. I picked a large rolling duffle instead of the regular suitcase and took it home. I was a little alarmed once I got it home at how large it was, but it fit everything perfectly and wasn’t too heavy because it was mostly clothes- hoodies, my blanket, my turkey. Ha ha. So I had about an hour to load things up before heading back into town for the third time in a day.
I started out a bit late and so didn’t really have time to get to the bank before I needed to meet people at the Wardrobe. Instead I popped into Clas Ohlson and got a luggage strap to try and cinch in my new giant bag and compression socks for the flight tomorrow. I got to college 20 minutes early and so I went to the postgrad room in the library to use my phone to call the bank. They charge you here to call 08 numbers from a cell phone which is exceedingly lame because 08 numbers like calling your bank are toll free at home. I tried but then it cut me off. So I got online and topped up my account but it ran out the next call before I even got through the automated choice. ARGH!!! I don’t know how I’m going to close this account.
Then I headed downstairs to the Wardrobe where I had dinner with Louise, Wei Li, Felicity and Mark. We ate and chatted for about three hours. We talked about the college and what we’re all doing next, international music scenes, conducting classes etc. It was fun. Then Louise gave me a ride home and we managed to get the clavinova in her car. It was funny because the next morning Peter asked about the piano and I said, “Oh you didn’t hear us last night?” Apparently they heard us talking some but nothing to make them think that we were moving a piano. That’s good. Then I had to say goodbye to Louise. This is all so surreal. I can’t believe it’s really over.
Post a Comment