0

Home Again Finnegan

Posted by Charlotte on 7:26 PM
There’s nothing quite like trying to sleep before a big trip, knowing that you have to be up bright and early but I was so tired that I managed somehow.  I got up and forced down some breakfast before lugging my bags down to the front hall. After my recital, my church friends protested when they found out that I was just planning on taking a bus down to the train station. It probably would have been fine but with yesterday’s addition of a giant duffle bag I really appreciated their insistence on giving me a ride. 
As I was waiting I chatted a bit with Peter and Maria.  It was a little strange as though I was just heading out for another long weekend instead of, "Well it’s been nice living here for a year, see ya." Peter was really impressed by my recital yesterday and said that I had been a very good lodger.  [My flat] I left them a bag of stuff for the charity shop which was handy because Maria works at one.  I also left him my broken blender to try and fix- not to mention half a thing of milk, cheese and butter.  
Br. Hardcastle came and dropped me off at the station. My biggest concern was getting these two giant bags and backpack onto the plane, in London, by myself. I was determined. It was a bit dicey getting through the gates and thank heavens a kind lady helped me hoist my bags on to the top baggage shelf.  Then tucked in on the train to London journalling away. Long hallways and two lifts later I had all my luggage on a tube train to the airport.  Unfortunately it wasn’t quite the right train which necessitated a hop off and hop on a different one. By the time I was on the correct one I was having a difficult time staying awake. A little luggage shuffling at Heathrow and I managed to get them just barely underweight and headed into the terminal to grab something to eat, shop a little and head out.
The compression socks made a big difference on the flight.  Between that and an aisle seat which allowed me to get up and stretch more frequently I was so much more comfortable.  The challenge this time was I had tweaked my back from moving all those heavy bags.  I’ve never really done something like that to my back before and I’m not a fan.  As I got settled in my seat I knew that I would pay for it for the rest of the flight.  I asked the stewardess for some pain meds which she eventually brought me along with a release form. Several movies later we arrived in Seattle. I got pulled aside to have my bags searched, ended up leaving one of my carry on bags behind and had to be escorted to go get it and finally got through to my family.
I was rather delirious and hungry.  Mom need to pick up some meds for dad in Bellevue so we did that and then stopped next door for some homemade mac and cheese at Whole Foods.  Highly recommended.

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 There and Back Again All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive | Distributed by Blogger Templates | Brought to you by JobVine Jobs