0
A Jet lagged weekend back
Posted by Charlotte
on
3:42 AM
So I arrived back in the states to all kinds of insanity. The first bit was All State auditions. Every year high school kids audition for All State groups. Two years ago I got roped into screening auditions. I was asked again this year and agreed because I found out that they’re paying screeners this year and I really need the money. All the auditions are uploaded as sound files onto the WMEA website. There were around 300 Altos that I had to listen to sing two scales, arpeggios and America the Beautiful. It would have all gone swimmingly had I not tried to do it while preparing my Masters recital. I did about an hour and half of listening while in England which left about 10-12 hours to go with a Monday due date. So I spent literally all of my first two days back, locked in our computer room, listening to, scoring and ranking auditions. The payoff was worth it but I don’t recommend trying to do that all in two days.
Saturday I managed to head out to the Anita Wardell Jazzvox workshop in Auburn. I just love those workshops were you get to meet people, get some individual attention etc. So fantastic.
It was a little funny because I had seen her gig at Seven Arts in March down the street from flat. My teacher had told me to go say hello afterwards but I bagged out right when it was done around 11pm so I could catch the last bus home instead of walking over a mile in the dark. Not that I hadn’t done that before. Anita who’s originally from Australia but lives and works in London knows my voice teacher and on Saturday chewed me out a little for not saying hello then. The workshop was on improv and it was great to get feedback and hear about her process of practicing improvisation.
I stopped at Ikea on the way home and picked up a shelf with which I plan to organize all of mom’s violin music. It was a bit of a trick picking it up and loading it into my little Honda on my own, but I managed.
Monday was my birthday. I was still adjusting to the time change and so I woke up early with lots of energy. I knew that all this transition energy would only last so long and I should make the most of it. So I spent about four hours reorganizing the food storage in our garage. We have some great shelving out there which doesn’t get used well because we never want to go out there because it’s messy and cold. It’s nice that the bulk of our food storage now comes in #10 cans because they’re uniform. I sorted all the cans out by food and got them all sorted and organized so they’re not randomly scattered in cabinets and under beds.
Then I headed over to EW to hear Mello-Aires auditions and was surprised by a cupcake, card and balloons from my kids before heading home to celebrate with the family and some pumpkin birthday cake.
Saturday I managed to head out to the Anita Wardell Jazzvox workshop in Auburn. I just love those workshops were you get to meet people, get some individual attention etc. So fantastic.
It was a little funny because I had seen her gig at Seven Arts in March down the street from flat. My teacher had told me to go say hello afterwards but I bagged out right when it was done around 11pm so I could catch the last bus home instead of walking over a mile in the dark. Not that I hadn’t done that before. Anita who’s originally from Australia but lives and works in London knows my voice teacher and on Saturday chewed me out a little for not saying hello then. The workshop was on improv and it was great to get feedback and hear about her process of practicing improvisation.
I stopped at Ikea on the way home and picked up a shelf with which I plan to organize all of mom’s violin music. It was a bit of a trick picking it up and loading it into my little Honda on my own, but I managed.
Monday was my birthday. I was still adjusting to the time change and so I woke up early with lots of energy. I knew that all this transition energy would only last so long and I should make the most of it. So I spent about four hours reorganizing the food storage in our garage. We have some great shelving out there which doesn’t get used well because we never want to go out there because it’s messy and cold. It’s nice that the bulk of our food storage now comes in #10 cans because they’re uniform. I sorted all the cans out by food and got them all sorted and organized so they’re not randomly scattered in cabinets and under beds.
Then I headed over to EW to hear Mello-Aires auditions and was surprised by a cupcake, card and balloons from my kids before heading home to celebrate with the family and some pumpkin birthday cake.
Post a Comment